Skip to main content

Research Repository

Advanced Search

The development of a protocol for diagnosing hand dermatitis from photographic images

Parsons, Vaughan; Williams, Hywel; English, John; Llewellyn, Joanne; Ntani, Georgia; Madan, Ira

Authors

Vaughan Parsons

Profile Image

HYWEL WILLIAMS hywel.williams@nottingham.ac.uk
Professor of Dermato-Epidemiology

John English

Georgia Ntani

Ira Madan



Abstract

Background: A hand photography protocol was needed to ascertain the presence and severity of dermatitis in a trial testing the effectiveness of a behaviour change intervention to prevent hand dermatitis in nurses.
Methods: We developed the protocol in three stages: (i) established a procedure for collecting hand photographs; (ii) conducted a stepwise validation process to agree rules for diagnosing and determining severity of hand dermatitis and; (iii) trained a research nurse to screen out ‘clear’ cases.
Results: We developed and trained fieldworkers (n=97) in a procedure for collecting hand photographs. Study dermatologists established interpretation rules to diagnose and determine the severity of dermatitis from photographs. Prior to the establishment of the rules, inter-observer agreement between the two dermatologists on the presence or absence of hand dermatitis was moderate (kappa 0.5). At the final stage of the validation process, the dermatologists agreed on 88% cases from independent assessments, with consensus reached for the remaining 12% following joint deliberation. Following training, a subgroup analysis of 250 cases screened by the nurse and characterised as ‘clear’ found two (0.8%) ‘positive’ cases were missed.
Conclusion: We have developed a hand photography protocol, which may be used in other studies or in hand dermatitis health surveillance programmes.

Journal Article Type Article
Publication Date Nov 1, 2018
Journal Contact Dermatitis
Print ISSN 0105-1873
Electronic ISSN 1600-0536
Publisher Wiley
Peer Reviewed Peer Reviewed
Volume 79
Issue 5
Pages 270-275
APA6 Citation Parsons, V., Williams, H., English, J., Llewellyn, J., Ntani, G., & Madan, I. (2018). The development of a protocol for diagnosing hand dermatitis from photographic images. Contact Dermatitis, 79(5), 270-275. doi:10.1111/cod.13053
DOI https://doi.org/10.1111/cod.13053
Publisher URL https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cod.13053
Copyright Statement Copyright information regarding this work can be found at the following address: http://eprints.nottingh.../end_user_agreement.pdf
Additional Information This is the peer reviewed version of the following article, which has been published in final form at https://onlinelibrary.w.../abs/10.1111/cod.13053. This article may be used for non-commercial purposes in accordance with Wiley Terms and Conditions for Use of Self-Archived Versions.

Files

20MAY Manuscript-CURRENT-post-second-review-v1.3-edWU minor revision.pdf (163 Kb)
PDF

Copyright Statement
Copyright information regarding this work can be found at the following address: http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/end_user_agreement.pdf





You might also like



Downloadable Citations

;