Skip to main content

Research Repository

Advanced Search

A Content Analysis and Population Exposure Estimate Of Guinness Branded Alcohol Marketing During the 2019 Guinness Six Nations

Barker, Alexander B; Bal, Jaspreet; Murray, Rachael L

Authors

Alexander B Barker

Jaspreet Bal

Rachael L Murray



Abstract

Aims: To quantify Guinness related branding in the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship.

Methods: Content analysis of Guinness related branding (‘Guinness’ and the alibi brand ‘Greatness’) shown during active play throughout all 15 games of the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship. The duration of each appearance was timed to the nearest second, to provide information on the amount of time that Guinness-related branding was shown on screen. Census data and viewing figures were used to estimate gross and per capita alcohol impressions.

Results: Our coding identified a total of 3719 appearances of two logos, of which 3415 (92%) were for ‘Guinness’ and 304 (8%) were for ‘Greatness’. ‘Guinness’ imagery was present for 13,640 seconds (227.3 minutes or 3.8 hours, 16% of total active play time), ‘Greatness’ for 944 seconds (15.7 minutes, 1% of total active play time), with a combined total of 14,584s across all games (243 mins or 4.05 hours, 17% of active play time). The 15 games delivered an estimated 122.4 billion Guinness-related branded impressions to the UK population, including 758 million to children aged under-16.

Conclusions: Alcohol marketing was highly prevalent during the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship and is a significant source of exposure to alcohol marketing and advertising for children, likely influencing youth alcohol experimentation and uptake.

Citation

Barker, A. B., Bal, J., & Murray, R. L. (2021). A Content Analysis and Population Exposure Estimate Of Guinness Branded Alcohol Marketing During the 2019 Guinness Six Nations. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 56(5), 617–620. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agab039

Journal Article Type Article
Acceptance Date May 6, 2021
Online Publication Date Jun 3, 2021
Publication Date 2021-09
Deposit Date May 11, 2021
Publicly Available Date Jun 4, 2022
Journal Alcohol and Alcoholism
Print ISSN 0735-0414
Publisher Oxford University Press (OUP)
Peer Reviewed Peer Reviewed
Volume 56
Issue 5
Pages 617–620
DOI https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agab039
Public URL https://nottingham-repository.worktribe.com/output/5523811
Publisher URL https://academic.oup.com/alcalc/article/56/5/617/6291519

Files





You might also like



Downloadable Citations