Stephen Pinfield Stephen.Pinfield@Nottingham.ac.uk
Libraries and open access: the implications of open-access publishing and dissemination for libraries in higher education institutions
This chapter discusses the consequences of open-access (OA) publishing and dissemination for libraries in higher education institutions (HEIs). Key questions (which are addressed in this chapter) include:
1. How might OA help information provision?
2. What changes to library services will arise from OA developments (particularly if OA becomes widespread)?
3. How do these changes fit in with wider changes affecting the future role of libraries?
4. How can libraries and librarians help to address key practical issues associated with the implementation of OA (particularly transition issues)?
This chapter will look at OA from the perspective of HE libraries and will make four key points:
1. Open access has the potential to bring benefits to the research community in particular and society in general by improving information provision.
2. If there is widespread open access to research content, there will be less need for library-based activity at the institution level, and more need for information management activity at the supra-institutional or national level.
3. Institutional libraries will, however, continue to have an important role to play in areas such as managing purchased or licensed content, curating institutional digital assets, and providing support in the use of content for teaching and research.
4. Libraries are well-placed to work with stakeholders within their institutions and beyond to help resolve current challenges associated with the implementation of OA policies and practices.
Pinfield, S. (2007). Libraries and open access: the implications of open-access publishing and dissemination for libraries in higher education institutions. In J. Vince, & R. Earnshaw (Eds.), Digital Convergence - Libraries of the FutureSpringer
|Publication Date||Jan 1, 2007|
|Deposit Date||Nov 9, 2007|
|Publicly Available Date||Dec 17, 2007|
|Peer Reviewed||Peer Reviewed|
|Book Title||Digital Convergence - Libraries of the Future|
|Keywords||libraries, open access, high education|
|Copyright Statement||Copyright information regarding this work can be found at the following address: http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/end_user_agreement.pdf|
Copyright information regarding this work can be found at the following address: http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/end_user_agreement.pdf